Many of you know that the Hershee Bar in Norfolk is being forced to close or move due to a buyout of the property by the City of Norfolk. Hershee's has been an institution in the local LGBTQ community for over 35 years and it is one of the oldest traditionally Lesbian bars in the nation. Alternatives HR would like to share your stories of the bar.
- Was this the first bar you went to after coming out?
- Did the bar shelter you from homophobia or even harassment?
- Did you find love and support there?
- Did you meet a girlfriend or partner at the bar?
- Did bar owners Annette and Billy help you out somehow?
- How where things different in the bar's history?
- Do you have a happy or even a sad memory of the bar to share?
- What is your favorite memory of Hershee's?
- We also welcome poetry written about the bar!
Most stories should be less than a typed page - though exceptions might be made based on content. All stories are your own, so we won't edit, spell check, change grammar, etc. However, we may tweak the formatting. We encourage you to include photos taken at the bar or related to your story, if you have any. Just make sure everyone in your photos consents to the photo being posted online. Depending on how many stories we get, we might not be able to post them all. We really hope we can!